How to trigger BADownloaderExtension on MacOS

I have an app that I am implementing background assets, using self hosted unmanaged.

Everything compiles fine, and I get no errors. But I can't figure out how to trigger the 'install' phase into the extension. I have tried copying the app into /Applications without luck. I have deleted the entire DerivedData and all copies of the application. Nothing seems to work.

I tried using the Apple provided sample app from here and got the same results.

I don't understand why the CLI tool backgroundassets-debug only works with iOS based connected devices?

Please let me know how can I test my BADownloaderExtension on Mac via XCode. Thank you.

An update: it eventually downloads the files - using the periodic updates I assume. But there are only 4 files of a total of 500 mb, and in 12 hours it has only downloaded 3 of them.

So, I really need to be able to trigger the 'install' mode so it can do this right away.

Or maybe I am approaching this wrong? The idea is to have certain "near constant" assets be downloaded rarely, so that frequent app updates to the App Store don't cause massive downloads for the users.

How to trigger BADownloaderExtension on MacOS
 
 
Q