Resolved: Xcode 27 / Transporter validation hanging at “Preparing…”
UPDATE: I found the cause and was able to completely resolve the issue.
I was seeing Xcode 27 Organizer Validate App and Distribute App hang indefinitely at:
“Preparing… / Validating…”
Transporter 1.4.5 exhibited the same behavior.
The important clue came from running swinfo directly against the actual IPA.
I checked:
xcode-select --print-path
which correctly returned:
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
However:
xcrun --find dwarfdump-classic
returned:
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/dwarfdump-classic
I then checked the executable:
file "$(xcrun --find dwarfdump-classic)"
and found:
Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
Running it directly confirmed the problem:
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/dwarfdump-classic --help
returned:
zsh: bad CPU type in executable
I'm on Apple Silicon running macOS 27.0.
THE FIX
I moved the old standalone Command Line Tools installation out of the active location rather than deleting it:
sudo mv /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools-old
Then I made sure Xcode 27 was selected:
sudo xcode-select --switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
After that, xcrun could no longer find the obsolete dwarfdump-classic, which is expected because Xcode 27 no longer contains that tool.
I then reran swinfo against the same IPA.
Instead of hanging indefinitely, swinfo completed and returned to the shell. It did produce a separate bitcode-build-tool internal error, but importantly it did NOT hang.
I then archived the current branch in Xcode 27 and ran Validate App again.
It completed successfully:
“My CareCycle 1.6.0 (281) validated”
“Your app successfully passed all validation checks.”
CONCLUSION
In my case, the problem was an old standalone Command Line Tools installation containing an x86_64-only dwarfdump-classic.
Xcode 27's validation tooling was finding that executable through xcrun, and on my Apple Silicon/macOS 27 system it could not execute it.
Removing the stale Command Line Tools installation from the active path fixed the indefinite Xcode 27/Transporter validation hang.
I did not have to modify the app, signing configuration, IPA, dependencies, or App Store Connect configuration.
For anyone experiencing the same issue, these three commands should make the problem easy to confirm:
xcrun --find dwarfdump-classic
file "$(xcrun --find dwarfdump-classic)"
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/dwarfdump-classic --help
If the result is an x86_64 executable followed by:
zsh: bad CPU type in executable
you may be seeing the same issue.